Sluggers program is a child development program designed to introduce children 4 to 8 years old to the game of baseball utilizing a fun and educational curriculum. With a focus on fundamental skills and tactics utilized in baseball, Sluggers is designed to be an enjoyable introduction to the game, as well as build confidence in the pre-school player who plans to advance to Tee-ball and Little League. There is some emphasis on competition through small-sided games, as well as attention to individual skill development and team play.
For four year olds, we recommend that the child start off in our Majors program for one season before moving into our SoccerTouch program.
The Sluggers program is a one hour, once a week program. Each class is broken into two parts: the FUNdamentals teaching skill development and the team play portion with a non-competitive game. The curriculum is designed to have the children continue improving their fundamentals skills while preparing them for their next level of participation, organized tee-ball, including the following objectives:
- Base recognition and proper base running techniques.
- Five steps of hitting with focus on proper form including full swing and hip rotation.
- Correct throwing mechanics emphasizing accuracy and distance.
- Proper fielding technique, keeping their body in front of the ball.
- Using the baseball glove for fielding of line drives and pop fly catches.
- Game situations.
- Fitness and Agility.